THE COLUMBIA (MD) CHAPTER
On February 9, 1973, the Columbia (MD) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated held its organizational meeting. The group was organized by Roberta M. Briscoe and Celonia B. Walden und the name of Wajamii (Swahili for circle of friends). Installation of the Chapter took place on June 28, 1975 with 23 charter members.
During more than 44 Years of Service in the Howard County community, the Columbia (MD) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated has continued its illustrious history delivering programs that are relevant and have a positive impact on the community. These transformation programs are part of our five facets: Services to Youth, The Arts, National Trends and Services, International Trends and Health and Human Services.
A few highlights but not limited to:
• An award winning MESA Program (Math, Engineering & Science Achievement) for elementary students – a 13 week program in partnership with the Howard County Public School System.
• A mentorship program for 20-25 middle school to high school girls through a “For Girls Only” Program in partnership with the Howard County Public School System.
• Provide over $150,000 in scholarships to students who are Howard County residents going to college and to students of the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University Conservatory of Music.
• Host an annual free classical music concert performed by students of the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University Conservatory of Music. In 2020, we celebrated our 36th Anniversary of hosting the concert.
• Partnership with Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center to provide meals, blankets, special activities for the children and other various needs.
• Outreach to senior citizens with visits to assisted living facilities and nursing homes to provide engagement and entertainment.
• Provide a childhood obesity prevention program to elementary school students which is titled “Can You Imagine Me?”
• Hold voter registrations drives.
• In collaboration with the Howard County African American Community Roundtable, support its annual community health fair and to provide interactive healthcare education to the community.
• Provide dorm packages for Kenyan Students traveling to the United States to study dance as part of Artists for Africa.
Our members are committed to serving the Howard County community and also embrace building lasting friendships with one another.
We thank you for visiting our virtual home.